Tuesday 9 December 2008

Interactive Narrative - Character Design

The design of the main character is an important part of this project, as it should look good and appeal to the user. However, as the character will appear throughout the narrative I feel that simplicity will be the key to it's design, as this will make it easier to draw repeatedly if necessary. It will also help when it comes to animating the character as a complicated design would result in complicated animation.

First of all I decided to just start sketching out a few random designs for different cats using a graphics tablet. I love the way you can set the pencil mode to smooth the lines you draw in Flash, it just makes everything look a lot more clean and crisp.


Of course, these ideas are really just doodles, I wouldn't have the character actually looking like any of these in my final project.

I decided to try and develop the design of the cat drawn in orange, as this next image shows.
I like this last development of the kitty, he looks a lot sharper and more detailed, while still retaining the simplicity that I was going for. Here he is, full sized!
I need to add in some shading to the final version, but other than that this is the final design for Ry the cat as he will appear in his first adventure.
  • Stumble This
  • Fav This With Technorati
  • Add To Del.icio.us
  • Digg This
  • Add To Facebook
  • Add To Yahoo

No comments:

 
Copyright 2010 Meow