Wednesday 7 January 2009

Second Life

I have a question - why is this 'game' so popular?

I downloaded Second Life a few weeks ago and am mostly unimpressed. At first I quite liked the fact that you can make up your own first name then pick from a list of generated surnames, as it eliminates any characters called krazygurl1987123 etc. My character turned out to be named Scarlet Foxclaw which I thought sounded pretty cool. From there I think it all went downhill. Haha. I logged in with no clue about what I was doing, and started off in the newbie support area. A tutorial pops up for first time users, which showed me how to fly around and move the camera about but didn't really help with anything else. My character looked like a bit of idiot in the preselected 'gamer girl' clothing so I wanted to change it to something a bit better. I successfully ended up with an ugly bald woman walking around in her underwear. The inventory window told me I was wearing certain items of clothing when I clearly wasn't. I also found the character editing tool quite confusing, and although it looks like their are lots of options I don't really see the need for a tool to change how far your forehead protrudes. Amid my struggles trying to create a decent looking character there were also plenty of morons constantly spamming the chat window with gibberish. After all this I got a bit annoyed and decided to log out for the time being.

I logged in again last week, still bald and naked, with more morons spamming the chat window. Or perhaps they were the same ones, who knows... A window popped up in the corner saying that someone had invited me to a new place so I accepted, and after a loading screen was transported away from the newbie area. The new region I was in did not work properly, and I found myself just standing in the middle of the sea with nowhere to go. Still in my underwear I might add. My brother then told me at this point that Second Life clearly was not working on my computer, and since he used to play it quite a lot I think i trust his judgment...

I've now been using a different computer and can't even log in, just keep getting different error messages. I give up... Can't I just play World of Warcraft? No?

One last thing, an amusing article I found about Second Life you should all read. It's from The Daily Mail, but give it a go here.
  • Stumble This
  • Fav This With Technorati
  • Add To Del.icio.us
  • Digg This
  • Add To Facebook
  • Add To Yahoo

No comments:

 
Copyright 2010 Meow